Sunday 22 September 2013

Emily Quinton's Makelight Photography Workshop - Review

So, yesterday saw me up, out and on a train to London bright and early. With cameras in one bag and lots of homemade cake in another, I was off to Emily Quinton's Makelight Photography Workshop.

I was so looking forward to this day (and had been for months since reserving my place months ago!). I, like most of us, have been increasingly snap happy with my camera phone and although I have a pretty nice D-SLR, I have frankly very little idea what all the settings, dials and buttons do. Could Emily explain, assist and cajole me into better photography?

Oh yes, she could. Emily, someone I know of through the wedding world, has a very beautiful Instagram feed with a strong style, a consistent look and all sorts of pretty to swoon over. And, she happily spent the day sharing secrets, tips, information and more that inspired and cleared away the fog that had long settled over my understanding of imagery.

As with most days like this, another highlight was meeting all of the other people on the workshop too and a nicer bunch of women you couldn't hope to meet. All with differing aims, lives, businesses and experiences, we were soon all laughing, sharing, gossiping and just having a great day. You know it's all been worthwhile when you're badgering the workshop leader to plan a follow-up day soon. I admit to waking up this morning, seeing clouds and thinking "oh, what excellent light!" Emily's words have definitely sunk in!

So yesterday was fabulous and my 'proper' camera is now sat next to me on my desk rather than being tucked away. I'm hoping I'll keep experimenting, keep trying new things and I'm going to be far more critical with my images. And, I solemnly promise to no just solely rely on my iPhone, never use flash and plan ahead!

But for me, one of the things I really took from yesterday was the importance of continuing to learn. It's very easy to sit behind your laptop or at your desk, beavering away at everything and keeping your mind closed to the prospect of educating yourself. When you work on your own, it's also really easy to get stuck in one way of thinking, one way of doing things and whilst these things keep on working for you, what are you missing? What else is out there that might just set your world alight? How will you know if you never get out there? Those little ruts that we keep ourselves in can be comforting but when you poke your head over the edge, the view is rather wonderful.

So, thank you Emily, not only for the wisdom, kindness and fun of yesterday but also for encouraging me to keep learning.

Here are a few of the images that I took yesterday - not edited at all, just completely 'as they were'. If anyone has any more recommendations of workshops or similar, I'd love to hear about them.













No comments:

Post a Comment